Important emergency contacts and procedures for diving Lake Mead. What to do in the event of an emergency including the nearest recompression chambers.
- Contact the nearest Ranger Station or Park Ranger on duty, or
- Telephone the National Park Service 24-hour Communications Center at 702-293-8932 or 1-800-680-5851 and they will notify the nearest Park Ranger. The Communications Center also monitors Marine Band emergency channels 16 and 22.
- Area Ranger Stations are manned intermittently; therefore, the following numbers should be used for information purposes only.
|Las Vegas Bay
Primary Chamber University Medical Center (UMC), information phone and emergency 24-hour phone number 702-383-3603 (diving physician is always on call) or call 911 and await transport by ambulance to the emergency room in Las Vegas.
Back-up Chambers University of California, Catalina Island chamber. Emergency phone 310-510-1053. information phone 213-743-6793 (Mon-Fri), Call the Medical Alert Center, Los Angeles, 213-221-4114. They will contact the U.S. Coast Guard and Catalina chamber and will make all pre-arrival arrangements.
Fly direct to the Los Angeles International Airport, where the U.S. Coast Guard helicopter will pick-up and deliver to Catalina.
San Diego: Call the San Diego County Lifeguard Service, 619-224-2708, and they will handle the local arrangements and proper notification.
- University Medical Center Life Flight Emergency Number 619-543-3683
- USS McKee United States
Sub-Tender (Don Ingram)
Tender - 619-224-2735
Submarine Flotilla Operations - 619-225-6818
REMEMBER: Whenever a diving accident victim goes to a chamber for treatment the following information is necessary:
- Victim's full name and age.
- Victim's symptoms and treatment administered after discovery.
- Profile of dives, depths and bottom times during past 12 hours before accident.
- Depth and bottom time of last dive (or during dive) before accident.
- Brief description of accident and names of witnesses.
- Flight number or airline, estimated time of arrival and airport. Include airplane's pressurized altitude if possible. (If using the back-up chambers in California)
For questions regarding diving accidents you may contact the Divers Alert Network (DAN) at 800-446-2671 or 919-684-2948 (Monday through Friday) or the emergency number at 919-684-8111 (Monday through Friday).
Information provided by Lake Mead National Recreation Area